Wednesday, February 25, 2015

Behold the King of Glory

Behold the King of Glory: A Narrative of the Life, Death, and Resurrection of Jesus ChristBehold the King of Glory: A Narrative of the Life, Death, and Resurrection of Jesus Christ by Russ Ramsey
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

I am the worst at taking things for granted.  This morning I woke up in a warm house while it sleeted and snowed outside.  I had soft-boiled eggs and fresh brewed coffee for breakfast after I used our indoor bathroom.  I threw snowballs at my kids because my muscles had oxygen-rich blood flowing to them because of my defect-free heart and healthy lungs and because my nerves functioned properly due to my healthy brain and spine.  I hit the cat because I don’t throw very well.  I started my paid-for and functioning vehicle after saying goodbye to my beautiful wife and made it the 20 miles to my great job on less-than-ideal roads without incident.  It is easy to take things for granted.  Even really, really nice things.

Even really, really amazing things.  As a Christian I have found it easy to take the story of the greatest of lives for granted.  I have come to the Scriptures and the stories with a ho-hum, same-old same-old, “We’ve been here before” attitude.  My familiarity with this narrative, coupled with the residual sin that still entangles this justified sinner, has often bread a contempt of the apathetic sort.

The first time I encountered this truth it crushed me.  I never expected this story to lose the, deserved, impact it had had on my thoughts and affections.  As I have grown in my faith and endured the spiritual valleys and spiritual dryness that God uses so often for my good, I have realized that this is part and parcel of being a finite, sinful being engage in active, spiritual battles.  So, instead of lamenting my trip through the valleys, I have learned to look for ways that the Shepherd is leading and comforting me through them.
Behold the King of Glory by Russ Ramsey is a work that will be used to refresh many a weary traveler.  Ramsey takes the reader through the biblical narrative in a fresh way.  Behold the King of Glory reads like a historical fiction about the life of Christ but with an emphasis, a heavy emphasis, on the “historical.”  The historical aspect is Ramsey’s fidelity to the biblical text.  Ramsey harmonizes the Gospel accounts and presents the life of Christ in one narrative rather than four accounts.  

But there is fiction.  And this will be off-putting for some but I do not think it should be.  This is not a “search for the historical Jesus” or a veiled attack on the sufficiency of the Scriptures.  Ramsey is presenting the Scriptural portrayal of Jesus.  What he does helpful is to make explicit the implicit.  Ramsey includes in the narrative the thoughts and feelings of characters and the cultural assumptions of the time.  He gives context.  What you would normally find in the study notes of a Bible, Ramsey weaves into this narrative.  

So, we should not burden ourselves with questions like “Did Peter really think that?” or “How would we know that Thomas said that to the other disciples?” or etc... The answer is, of course, “We don’t know.”  And while it would be wrong for someone to present these sorts of speculations as the revealed word of God, Ramsey does not.  This is not a new translation.  It is not designed to supplant the Gospel, it is a supplement.  This is a teacher teaching us the word through story.  And doing it very, very well.

Behold the King of Glory reminds us of the fact that this story of God become man, this story of redemption accomplished, this story of love to the point of death, this story of victory over death actually occurred.  It happened in real time, in a real place, with real people, and accomplished real results.  God actually became man.  Jesus Christ actually tabernacled among us.  He actually taught, healed, rebuked, and performed mighty acts.  He actually died and he actually rose.  He actually ascended and will actually return again.  Ramsey reminds the reader of these truths in a way that consistently points the reader back to the Scriptures, refreshed and ready to meet the God of the universe in the pages of his revelation.    


I received a review copy of this book from the publisher


View all my reviews