Monday, March 9, 2015

Luther on the Christian Life

Luther on the Christian Life: Cross and FreedomLuther on the Christian Life: Cross and Freedom by Carl R. Trueman
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

If I had to choose someone to write a work on the life and thought of Martin Luther I am not sure who I would pick...but it would be a Lutheran. Definitely a Lutheran. That's a given, right?  Thankfully, the folks at Crossway did not consult me.

I have been a fan of the Theologians on the Christian Life series and one on a such a character as Martin Luther was bound to be a must-read.  When I saw that celebrity author and mega-seminary professor Karl Trueman was set to write it, I spent months waiting for it to release.  I am pleased to say that it was worth the wait.

Truman's strength as an author and speaker are mirrored in the strengths of this book.  Trueman is a tremendous historian.  And while this work is not solely a biography, it is thoroughly biographical.  Trueman shows how Luther's thought applies to the Christian life by showing how Luther's thought affected Luther's own life.

Trueman is a teacher.  Not just in vocation but in gifting.  And that gifting shines through in this work.  Trueman's volume in this series is approachable and engaging.  Trueman can write for MDiv studies, he can write for colleagues with PhDs, MDs, ThDs,  and RESPECTs,  but he can also write for the interested lay person. And do so in a way that doesn't feel watered down or like the reader is missing out on the good stuff.

Trueman is also quite funny, in a Martin Lutheran sort of way. I have never understood or enjoyed Lutheran humor (in my experience it was only about coffee, songs about slinkys, or why I will be barred from eternal bliss for my membership in a Southern Baptist Church). However, Luther himself was quite funny.  As is Karl Trueman, and in much the same manner.  Luther on the Christian Life is filled with Trueman-humor and Luther-humor, for better or worse (just for clarity, I vote "better"...for the most part).

For a confessional Presbyterian to write a biographical work on Martin Luther of such quality tgat it includes a foreword from Robert Kolb and an afterword from Martin Marty is quite a feat and should be enough of an endorsement to send you sprinting to your Crossway.org bookmark to download a copy of it immediately.  When you do, I feel confident in saying that you will not be disappointed.

*I received a review copy of this book from the publisher.


View all my reviews