Wednesday, July 15, 2015

The Biggest Story: How the Snake Crusher Brings Us Back to the Garden

The Biggest Story: How the Snake Crusher Brings Us Back to the GardenThe Biggest Story: How the Snake Crusher Brings Us Back to the Garden by Kevin DeYoung
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

I love Kevin DeYoung and have been looking forward to this book since I heard about it earlier in the year.  It was what I expected.  Though in some ways, I was surprised.

I was not surprised with the text.  DeYoung has been a favorite write of mine for quite some time.  I was expecting excellent, deep theology distilled in a manner that would allow me to share the great truths of Scripture with my boys of various ages and various spiritual and intellectual levels.  This is what Pastor DeYoung has provided, and it is great!  I love teaching the big picture of Scripture to my kids.  It was such an aha moment for me when I realized that the Bible tells one, unified story.  I had to wait until I was in my late twenties and was exposed to the works of Graeme Goldsworthy, via Vaughn Roberts, to see that the Scriptures are a unified whole.  I am more than thankful that publishers and writers are making resources available with this truth in mind.  I loved James Hamilton’s The Bible’s Big Story, but DeYoung’s work will replace it as my go to on this topic with my kids (in part because this book is really good and in large part because DeYoung’s work is aimed at an older reader, of which my kids qualify).

So, I was expecting an excellent overview of the Bible’s grand narrative and I received that.  What I was not expecting was to be wowed, time and again, by the illustrations.  I tire of kids book illustrations often and pay them little attention for the most part.  Don Clark’s illustrations made me audibly gasp on a couple of occasions.  Beyond being beautiful (which should not be minimized), these illustrations complement the text beautifully.  They aid in the telling of the story and improve the reading experience exponentially.  I am interested to see these in printed form (I am working off of a pdf review copy from the publisher) when this book releases.  I can only imagine that I will look even better.

DeYoung and Clark take the reader through The Biggest Story to show us How the Snake Crusher Brings Us Back to the Garden.  It is a beautiful book telling the most beautiful story that there is; that what was corrupted will be made right, that what was broken will be fixed, that what was lost will be redeemed by the victorious One who reigns forever.

Go check out some pages here: https://www.crossway.org/books/the-bi...



View all my reviews