Tuesday, December 13, 2016

Adventures in Evangelical Civility: A Lifelong Quest for Common Ground

Adventures in Evangelical Civility: A Lifelong Quest for Common GroundAdventures in Evangelical Civility: A Lifelong Quest for Common Ground by Richard J. Mouw
My rating: 5 of 5 stars


I love this book. Richard Mouw is an encouraging person, and this is an encouraging look at his life. As someone who was converted late in my teens and proceeded to join the only denomination, nay-the only church, that was anywhere near biblical (and then proceeded to do that very thing 2 or 3 more times), I have been on a 15-year quest to be properly catholic-gracious yet discerning, willing to learn but able to stand firm, charitable yet wholly convinced. Hearing the former Fuller President reminisce about the ebb and flow of his thought and life reminded me of the need and benefit of recognizing that charity is not a weakness and grace is not opposed to standing firm.

Mouw offers a memoir rather than an autobiography, and I am glad that he chose to do so. First, it allowed me to learn the difference, and second, that choice gave him the freedom to organize his recollections around topics and ideas, rather than chronology and events. Some people’s lives are defined by events, but some people are better examined through an ideological lens, and Mouw definitely falls into the latter category.

I do not always agree with Mouw, but I appreciate the fact that he is firmly convicted of his beliefs and firmly determined to be a unifier, divide-crosser, and brother to all who find their hope and joy in Jesus Christ, as well as a friend to all who bear the image of the eternal One.

Mouw’s memoir is a blessing that needs to be read by many, many people.

Review copy provided.


View all my reviews