Tuesday, December 13, 2016

Evolution and the Bible

Evolution: Scripture and Nature Say YesEvolution: Scripture and Nature Say Yes by Denis Lamoureux
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Denis Lamoureux has produced a work that will go a long way in combatting the fallacious either/or dichotomy that continually drives many unbelievers away from the Christian faith and many believers away from scientific endeavors. Lamoureux combines history, theology, science, and personal anecdotes to help the reader recognize that reading Genesis has never been as straightforward as many would seek all to believe. This volume, and Lamoureux’s work in general, is doing much to knock down Evangelical shibboleths that go beyond requiring allegiance to God’s word by requiring unquestioned loyalty to one interpretation of God’s word. There are plenty of areas that I would disagree with Lamoureux’s conclusions as well as presuppositions, and I think the book suffers from a couple of unnecessary sections (I am not sure how Darwin’s faith or lack thereof actually matters in this discussion), but the book as a whole is solid.

Can you be a Christian and embrace evolution? Lamoureux would argue that not only can this be the case, but this should be the case. I do not know if I am ready to go that far with him, but I have become increasingly willing to embrace the fact that genuine, God-fearing, Christ-loving, Bible-believing Christians can be fully convinced about evolution as the mechanism of God’s creation. If you want a brief, clear, approachable representation of the argumentation that has brought me and others to this point, Lamoureux’s newest work is precisely what you’re looking for.

Review Copy received from the publisher


View all my reviews