Wednesday, February 1, 2017

Struck

Struck: One Christian's Reflections on Encountering DeathStruck: One Christian's Reflections on Encountering Death by Russ Ramsey
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

Russ Ramsey made me cry. Multiple time, he made me borderline sob. And Lisa Ramsey doesn't get off the hook, either. She only wrote the afterword, and she still made me cry. But the emotions evoked by Ramsey's book were so necessary and so good. As he narrates some critical times in his own life, and the lives of others, Ramsey displays his pastoral abilities by constantly pointing to the overwhelming, all-consuming grace of God. What makes it that much more impactful is that he does this while maintaining a transparent humanity that equally affirms the desperate grief and clinging hope that defines all believers in the midst of tribulation. One of the endorsements compares this work to Lewis's A Grief Observed, and that is a pretty apt comparison. I already have a friend I will be giving a copy of Struck to and plan to come back to it myself on a semi-regular basis....basically anytime I need a good sob and an encouragement that God is worthy of my trust.

ARC provided for review.


View all my reviews